Sunday, February 5, 2012

You say Boxing? I say Bring It! Punching Out with the Nuffies!

One of my New Years Resolutions for the past how many years has been to have a healthier life. Yes, sadly it's been part of my resolutions for how many years it just seems like it will never happen. So this year, since it's a transition year for me I decided I'm taking this getting healthy thing seriously. That and I have new shoes I really MUST use already.

I used to be an athlete. Yup, that's why it sucks that I can't even run a 3k. Sad, sad. I know. But, I'm starting to be more active or at least that's the idea and I'm lucky enough to be part of a community that always has something new planned and this month they decided to take the Nuffies and Nuffnangers out to a day of boxing. I've always wanted to try out boxing. Why? Because as our instructor, Issa, mentioned the other day, it's a full body work out. You can burn up to 800 calories in 1 workout. And it looks fun.

So off we go to Punch Out Boxing Club in Makati. Ok, I must admit at first I was trying to weasel my way out of this one. I was having girly issues and I was NOT in the mood to jump around. Oh and I hate looking like a crazy whimpy girl in front of other people. But I sucked it up and went for it. We were all beginners after all.

***photo from the internet

Trying out new things is always daunting, but trying out new things with a group of people you love to hang out with...way too much fun! :)Add the bu into that mix and I'm sold. The class was awesmazing. We didn't really do the boxing-sparing thing. What we did was an aero-boxing class. Which was better because we could all do it at the same time!

***photo from Jel Directo

That's our instructor Issa explaining the basics to us and well, trying to not make us quit so early. I loved how she was so understanding of the fact that we had a different pace. As she said, about half the normal pace. Haha. Loves it!

We started out the routine pretty standard. We stretched it out and then she taught us the basic boxes. Jab, straight, hook and cut...and remember, turn your body or else you're not using your core! See, I'm a good listener. Tip: do not choose the bag right behind the instructor, you cannot get away with ANYTHING!

***photo from Maris Basco

And then we went on to kicks and knee raises. Ok, I am such a girl I must admit, my kicks were no where near the get-scared-cause-I'm-going-to-bust-your-kneecaps kick. They were more of, let-me-put-my-leg-up-here kind of kicks.

After that we did a few routines and I did most of it, I HAD to sit down by the end because I was soooo winded I honestly felt like I was going to faint. Yes, I am a drama-queen. But the good thing is I still went through most of it. Maybe next time I'll get to finish the class. There is still hope. I will not give up.

***photo from Maris Basco

I made sure to go back to stretch it out at the end because I didn't want to end up with extremely sore muscles the next day.


***photos from Maris Basco

Before leaving Issa mentioned we should stretch some more at home so our muscles wouldn't hurt. I had a better solution, I drank Alaxan as soon as I got home. The next day I was fine, the day after that is a different story. My muscles are still sore but that's ok. No pain, no gain.

***photo from Maris Basco
Here's a photo of the bu and I with Maris and Judd who's trying to show us his fierce face. Scuuuuureh!

I'm actually pretty excited to go back again next week with the Nuffies and the bu! Here's to hoping I can keep this up. Boo yeah!

Want to go boxing? Punch Out Boxing Club is awesome. They were very accommodating and Issa was really nice. :)

Punch Out Boxing Club is located at the 5th Flr World Centre Building, HV Dela Costa st, Makati. Visit their site here.

No comments:

Post a Comment