Sunday, February 19, 2012

Singapore Diaries: Universal Studios Part II

It totally slipped my mind that I haven't finished talking about our Universal Studios Singapore trip. So let me just tell you what I liked about USS. :)

The night before we were scheduled to go to USS we met up with the bu's friends who were staying in SG. 


It turned out to be awesome timing because we found out that Anna and Chip were going to Universal the next day too! :) So we decided we would meet up there and go around the park together. That and Anna already gave Chip the "I will not ride any rollercoasters" speech. At least now he could ride with us. 

The next day, since the bu and I were early birds we still got to take photos with the mascots. The first one we ran into were the woodpeckers. :) I didn't even know that there was a girl woodpecker in the cartoon.


We actually saw Frankenstein when we were on the train and ran into him at the park. Yay! 


After a few rides and a show the bu and I had lunch first to take a break from the heat. It was impeccable timing that right after lunch the show in the theater across the street was starting so we text Anna and Chip that we would meet them there and off we go. The show was called Monster Rock and let me warn you, it was a horrible high school presentation. Comparable to an variety show Halloween special. I wouldn't recommend you see it unless you were bored and killing time. Even then I'd say do something else with your time. Haha...I guess when you compare it to shows in HK Disney you'd realize that it's not what Universal Studios is known for. It explains a lot.

When we were finally through with that experience we decided we would go towards the Transformers ride. It was getting great reviews from everyone and it was high on our list of rides to do. The Battlestar Galactica dueling coasters.

photo from universalstudiosingapore.org
I must say, the Transformers ride was awesmazing. It was sooo good that you couldn't tell the ride prop from the screen. Intense.

Chip and Anna with a piece of the Cube
We loved the ride so much we did it twice! :) Yup,, that was the only ride we did twice. If you're in USS this should be the ride you have to make time to see. 

What I realized about Universal Studios in general is they don't have the Princesses like Disney. So their characters aren't the usual and you would have to be really into old movies/shows to know who they are. Here are some of our photos with a few of the characters.

Here's Rick O'Connel from the mummy. This guy is a dead-ringer for Brendan Fraser the bu and I kept discussing how fun it must be for him to make money off the fact that he looks exactly like the Hollywood actor and when he realized this is something he could cash in on. :)

Rick O'Connel
Betty Boop has been an icon for centuries and when I saw she was there we just had to take a photo with her for my dad. We've had a few conversations where he would mention Betty Boop cartoons. I myself have not been able to watch them but he really seemed to have enjoyed them when he was younger, so this photo is for him.

Betty Boop
And then there are these other people. They were just random Egyptian guys but they were fun to take photos with. They kept changing their poses every shot. :) Talk about in character.


I wouldn't really say Universal Studios Singapore was better than Hong Kong Disneyland. I would say they each have their own strengths. Disney was fun because I grew with those films, the shows were awesome and well because it's Disney. I liked USS because the rides were fun well most of them were just skip the theater show, and because it was a different experience. 

If you were in SG and you had a day free I'd say go to Universal Studios. It would be an awesome investment in memories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment