Thursday, February 23, 2012

Friends who work...

I have moved jobs quite a lot. Let's just say I started out a bit confused and not knowing what I wanted to do with my life.

I was a BS Psych major. I decided on taking that because as a child I was brainwashed into thinking I wanted to become a doctor when I grow up.
***photo from the internet
My dad would tell me on a regular basis that I would become a doctor when I grow up so that I could take care of him when he gets old. My dad has all these complicated medical problems so I really took this seriously. Sadly though, I do not like touching or being around dead things. That whole dissect a frog on your own task was a bit much for me and I realized, medicine was not for me.

Lucky enough for me, BS Psych allows you three options. :D The medical route where you go on to med school which was definitely not for me. The industrial route where you go into the HR industry which was something that would not work for me.  And the educational route which would lead to becoming a guidance counselor or a preschool teacher which I totally loved. Yes, I was once a preschool teacher but that's for another blogpost. :)

So one must be wondering, from all that how did I end up where I am right now. Sometimes I wonder the same thing too. But then I realize, maybe this is where God intended me to be since it worked out after all.

The whole reason why I wrote this post is cause in every job that I have been in I have managed to make meaningful friendships and I thought it would be awesome for them to read about how much I love them! :)

My first real job was teaching preschool at a school I don't want to name anymore. :) But it was in this school that I met these people...

saying goodbye to Ms. Ty as she heads to the US

celebrating Ivana before she was born
Fra and I were the preschool teachers. KM, Arnel, Liza (Ms. Ty) were the grade school teachers. Manang and Manang Lindy were the people who took care of us and fed us in school. Ms. Lia was our mentor so to speak. In most ways she still is. Sadly Ms. Ty and Ms. Lia left the country to see what the world has in store for them. Sadder that they have not sent us money. Hahaha

I rarely see them anymore most of the time because KM is too busy being all cheesy with Angelo but we still keep in touch. Partner Fra and I talk all the time though and we try to keep up with each others' lives. When Ms. Lia was still in the country I would text her at random times to ask about the most random things. I really love these people because they were a part of my life when I was a teacher and I honestly believe that it was the happiest time of my life! :) This only means we have to meet up soon.

After my year as a preschool teacher I went into events. Here's the background, the bu and I used to staff for events when we were still in college.

how cute does the bu look? So young and fresh. :)

Such hard workers assembling slippers.
His sister-in-law owns the company that runs the Make Your Own Havaianas event and that's where it all started. I think. It was God's timing that I was working for an event when I decided I was going to resign from my teaching job and they needed a new full time staff. So I moved to Creative Juice Communications. Nope, it's not the agency in Makati, it's a Filipino owned and operated events company. :)

It was there that I met these people! :)

With Jo. I taught her to be more like me, maarte. 

With Jayla and Micky all cooked from a day under the sun.

The new team before I left.

Guest appearances by Jay and Tita Arvick
We have a lot of shared memories of travelling, sleep overs, ingresses, egresses, staffing, laughing, running around and just being all-around. I have to admit that much of what I am now as a person has been because of the time I spent with them. I grew up and became more responsible not only for myself but for my family as well. 

I miss this group. I miss Jayla my boyfriend and Tita Arvick who have left the Philippines as well. Like my other friends they have not sent any money as well despite the fact that is was an agreement. hahaha...I miss Micky who I would carpool with to work. :) I miss the rides when we would just talk about the most random of things. I miss the beach trips, which we always plan but never get to go on. And I miss the pamper-me-Sundays that we take in place of the supposed beach trip. 

After resigning from CJ I spent a couple of months at home on a break. Then things started to get boring. From a life that used to be fast-paced I was completely relaxed. I woke up any time I wanted, I went anywhere I wanted whenever I wanted. But if you're like me and you can't stay still for longer than a minute that kind of life gets old. So I moved to another events company. One that would expose me to a whole different kind of event industry. :) I moved to Eventscape Manila

Supporting Jenjeniffer at her Khiels event

Drinking away the night, I was drunk after a glass

Some of my favorite people
My stay in EM was short lived,  I had personal reasons for leaving. But despite that I have still managed to build friendships with the most awesome, colorful cast of characters ever. Every time we're together it will be endless banter and laughter. I want to go on another road trip to just drink Absolut in a different setting. Although we never really got to the drinking part. I miss hanging out in the pantry after lunch talking and laughing about the stupidest things or people. hehe...

I'm not the friendliest person. In fact I'm a bit of a snob when you first meet me, you can ask my good friend Thei she'll tell you all about the first few weeks we met. But once I get to know someone I'm friends with them forever. :))

Right now I work in Nuffnang Philippines and it's quite an adventure as well. I never really saw myself as the sales type of person. But once you get the hang of it, things get simpler. It works for me. :)

Welcoming Thei's birthday with a karaoke party!
I love the Nuffies. We're a bunch of people who love going on milk tea runs. :) There's so much more to write and maybe I'll post about my life as a Nuffie soon. But for now. I miss my friends. I hope we see each other soon. :)

As the bu commented last night, this post seem to have ended abruptly. So let me try that again...

Let me share with you a few words of wisdom from my dad. When he heard about someone who moved jobs quite often, he said..."A rolling stone gathers no moss." I guess he just wanted to remind me that when you don't invest time and effort in a company then you don't really progress in your career. Makes sense.

But as they say, every dark cloud has a silver lining and I guess my silver lining is that in every job I've been in I have made friends that I can keep for life. People who have made my life better. :) So this rolling stone has lots of multicolored, high spirited, happy moss to call her friends. I love my friends. Please don't kill me for calling you moss. haha...

Cheers to friendship! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment